GoodMaps Explore What's New
Nov. 18, 2020, updated Mar. 2, 2021
September 30, 2021
- You can now create an account in Explore. For those with proper access, this will reveal restricted buildings, rooms, and POIs which you can explore in person or virtually. New features are coming soon that require an Explore account - sign up today under the More Tab.
- POIs and rooms can now include extra information like relevant websites, links to audio files, information about the POI, and more!
- Some restrooms, lobbies, and atriums include an overview of the layout of the room or major landmarks in the room you may need to navigate, or to plan your journey ahead of time.
- When interacting with an outdoor POI or indoor entity, all options buttons updated to go to the logical next page, eliminating the need to tap “back” several times.
- Enhancements to indoor Directions including more turning detail (next steps, sounds, haptics) and information about upcoming doors.
- Improvements to incremental update system.
- Improvements to map data in multiple languages.
- Fixed crash caused by multiple indoor routes run after one another.
- Fixed a bug where Explore would not recognize entering an Indoor Venue.
- Security enhancements.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
May 24, 2021
- Significant enhancements to indoor experience, including: guidance in confusing spots, guidance when Explore can’t tell where you are, and improved experience navigating stairs and elevators.
- Search got upgraded to its own tab! Indoors, you’ll find that search has more robust functionality. It includes a directory of a building’s rooms, POIs, and more, with filtering capabilities. This is available in Virtual Mode too, so you can plan ahead with more detail than ever before.
- Significant improvement to indoor Directions including: enhanced end-of-route experience that makes it easier to find your destination and improvements to route instructions.
- Location Notifications now include what level of the building you are on. Data about levels has also been added to search results.
- Fixed a bug in Virtual Mode where the wrong building would load.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
March 2, 2021
- Search radius expanded to 50 miles and search results show 25 results at a time.
- Improvements to CPS, including the ability to turn CPS on and off.
- Improvements to indoor Directions.
- Improvements to how Location Notifications work indoors, especially how users are notified of Nearby POIs.
- Improvements to the outdoor to indoor transition.
- Getting Warmer is now available indoors.
- Several new Indoor Venues are available in Explore.
- Minor bug fixes, and improvements to non-English versions of Explore.
November 18, 2020
- Create new POIs so you can easily remember where that crack in the sidewalk is or your favorite store that doesn't appear in with Foursquare or Apple Maps POIs. POIs that you create appear on the Favorites Tab and work like other POIs; you can navigate to them, hear them announced if they are nearby, set them as a Getting Warmer POI, and find them when using Lookaround.
- Want to open another app and still get Location notifications? Now you can! While Explore is in the background or while you phone is locked, you can hear updates about your direction, nearest address, upcoming intersections, nearby POIs, and Getting Warmer POI.
- Customize how often you hear Location information on the Configuration page. Set the frequency of notifications for direction, nearest address, nearby POIs, and Getting Warmer POI. Options include 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 120 seconds, and never.
- Points of Interest from Apple Maps are here! You can choose between Foursquare and Apple Maps as the source of POI information. Switch from Foursquare to Apple Maps on the Configurations page. Available for iOS 14 and newer.
- Add a Getting Warmer POI to your Location information to get updates on how far away you are from that POI.
- Worried about losing favorites or configuration options? When you delete Explore or switch devices, your data is automatically saved. No need to re-add favorite POIs or customize your configuration options.
- The formula for announcing nearby POIs has been adjusted to improve how POIs are announced when stationary and when moving.
- Shake to get Location information is now audio-only. The information that used to appear on screen will still be announced.
- The design of the tutorials has been enhanced for better usability with screen readers.
- Enhancements to CPS that improve indoor Directions and Lookaround.
- Improvements to non-English versions of Explore.
- Minor bug fixes.
Learn more about GoodMaps Explore.
GoodMaps and Accessible Avenue Announce Partnership for Delivering Accessible Indoor and Outdoor Navigation to the Mobility Industry
by Evelyn Tichenor
Jul. 15, 2021